First mentions of Wosławice date back to 1404, in student admissions registry from Kraków that includes brothers Roslay from Wojsławice. At around 1440, the manor owner, Jan Ligęza Czyżowski, granted city rights to Wojsławice, and a castle was erected n the southeastern part of the town. In 1446 Wojsławice was a developing city, and the site of a regional council of the Chełm region. The development of Wojsławice was hastened by many privileges and its geographical location at the crossing of trade routes. In the 17th and 18th centuries Wojsławice suffered damage due to invasions and fires numerous times. In 1790 the manor was bought by Wojciech Poletyłło. He built a manor house in the city and established a brewery, distillery, vinegar factory, fabric factory and machine factory. In 1869 Wojsławice was stripped of its city rights. It suffered significant damage during World War I. At the end of September 1939 the city was occupied by the Soviets, then Germans.
The town charter of Wojsławice dates back to 1508 and was issued by Hieronim Zaklika Czyżowki. In it the city is granted the privilege to build butcher shops, arcade houses and utility sheds in the town hall area. Jan Górak suggests that this decree might be the beginning of the development of arcade architecture in the Wojsławice town square. The first, wooden town hall was destroyed in one of the town fires. In 1860 Wojsławice had 38 wooden houses. Wooden arcade houses with high-ridge roofs still existed in Wojsławice in the interwar period. They were located in the western and northern parts of the square. Later they were gradually replaced with stone houses. Until today there still exist several wooden arcade houses in the western part of town square. They are houses with narrow fronts, initially stood close together, with gable roofs. This architectural setting degraded over time due to many renovations of the buildings following town fires. One of the preserved arcade houses in Wojsławice is the building located at No 59, Town Square, known as the house of Fawka the cobbler. It was built in approximately 1925. A copy of this building is located in the Lublin Open Air Village Museum.
Archive photos of Wojsławice
Modern photos of Wojsławice