Lublin is considered one of the oldest settlements sites in Poland. The beginnings of continuous settlement on Czwartek Hill are dated between 6th and 7th centuries. According to tradition not long after christening Poland, at the end of 10th century, the first temple was erected on this hill – the Temple of St. Nicholas. Owing to favourable geographical conditions and the location in the main trade routes, the city has performed the role of a connection between the East and the West since the early Middle Ages.
The first written notice of Lublin was found in the year 1198. In 1317 Polish King Władysław Łokietek put Lublin within the municipal Magdeburg Law. This was connected with the transformation of the fortified castle into an industrial and commercial centre of growing importance. The 14th to 16th centuries were a period of dynamic development of the city.
During the periods mentioned above Gothic Lublin was rebuilt into the Renaissance one; there appeared renowned buildings like the Castle and the Holy Trinity Chapel and unique Russian-Byzantine paintings, as well as the Dominican Friars Church. In the middle of the 17th century, as a result of the Cossack War and the later the Swedish Wars, Lublin was demolished and the population was decimated by diseases. Stagnancy stayed long. Faster progress was only brought in the 19th century. In the 1920s the intensive tidying up of the city was started, followed by the progress in building structure. In the second half of the 19th century the first workshops appeared. Opening railway connections with Warsaw and Kowel was of particular importance for the development of the city. In 1918 Poland was freed from invades and regained independence. After this had been achieved, the development of the cisty was pushed forward, new factories and public institutions were created such as the Catholic University of Lublin and the High Rabbinical School.
The World War II caused huge damage to the city. Thousands of people died as a result of the Nazi terror. Especially tragic fate was met by the Jewish community, which at that time comprised 40000 people. They were exterminated in the Lublin ghetto or driven away to death camps. In 1941 the Nazis built the Majdanek concentration camp near the city, which ranked second in Europe with respect to size. It became a grave fot 200000 people from 26 countries.
After the liberation in July 1944 Lublin was performing the function of the temporary capital of the country for 164 days. The Catholic University of Lublin resumed its work, the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University was created, which later caused other schools of higher education to come into being. Lublin became a large urban centre in south-east Poland, as well as a considerable industrial, scholarly and cultural centre.
"Grodzka Gate - Theatre NN" Centre
ul. Grodzka 21
State Museum at Majdanek
ul. Droga Męczenników Majdanka 67
Grand Hotel Lublinianka
ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 56
Check in: from 14:00
Chect out: until: 11:00