Articles with keyword "shtetl"
Tomaszów Lubelski was granted its charter of incorporation in 1621, and was the second town, after Zamość, established by the Zamoyski family. From the very beginning, the town was inhabited by Catholics, Orthodox Christians and Jews; they all had the same rights, privileges and obligations towards the Ordynat of the Zamość Estate.
Jews began to settle in Józefów soon after the town’s incorporation. The full name, Józefów Biłgorajski, serves to distinguish it from other localities called Józefów. In this article, however, it is often referred to as Józefów. The Jewish community was established after 1725.
We do not know exactly when Jews settled in Szczebrzeszyn, but the first mention of the Jewish community in the town can be found in a document dating back to 1507, which includes an entry concerning the kahal’s payment of 25 zloty towards coronation tax. The first mention of a synagogue dates back to 1584.
Turobin is one of the oldest towns in the Chełm district, developing at least since the 12th century as a market and defensive settlement along the so-called Ruthenian route leading from Cracow to Kiev via Zawichost. The town was first mentioned in 1389, in a deed whereby king Ladislaus Jagiello granted the royal village of Turobin to Dmitriy of Goraj. In 1399 the village was incorporated pursuant to the Magdeburg Law, under a charter issued by the new owner of Turobin.