The “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre is a local government cultural institution based in Lublin. It works towards the preservation of cultural heritage and education. Its function is tied to the symbolic and historical meaning of the Centre’s location in the Grodzka Gate, which used to divide Lublin into its respective Christian and Jewish quarters, as well as to Lublin as a meeting place of cultures, traditions and religions.

Part of the Centre are the House of Words and the Lublin Underground Trail.

The “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre is a local government cultural institution based in Lublin. It works towards the preservation of cultural heritage and education. Its function is tied to the symbolic and historical meaning of the Centre’s location in the Grodzka Gate, which used to divide Lublin into its respective Christian and Jewish quarters, as well as to Lublin as a meeting place of cultures, traditions and religions.

Part of the Centre are the House of Words and the Lublin Underground Trail.

Books of remembrance - “Sefer Zikkaron Lublin”

The books of remembrance dedicated to Jewish towns and people who lived in them are special publications commemorating the community destroyed by the Shoah. They were composed after the war, on the initiative of Jewish hometown societies active in Israel and in other countries of Jewish diaspora.
There are two memorial books about the Lublin Jews. The first one was published in Paris in 1952, the other one - “Sefer Zikkaron Lublin” - in Tel Aviv, in 1957. Below, we present a general characterization of the books of remembrance and the contents of the “Sefer Zikkaron Lublin”.

Read more

Pottery signatures on the bottoms of clay vessels

Various marks on the bottom fragments of pottery: spoked wheels (left),  two straight, tapered lines (middle), a cross (right).

                                                       

Read more

The Catalog of archaeological artifacts from Lublin area

The archeological artifacts complete the history of the town that was omitted in written sources. Objects of everyday use transmit information about the daily life of ancient Lubliners – our ancestors. The archaeological finds that were discovered in the territory of Lublin during archaelogical excavations, have not been previously presented to the public. They can be seen as supplementation of the collections of Lublin museums.

Materials for this catalogue were prepared by Jacek Jeremicz. All of the artifacts were submitted by archaeologists from Lublin. Finds were lent by following companies: ARCHEE – Rafał Niedźwiadek and MAMUT – Adam Olszewski. 

The project was financed with a grant of Marshal of the Voivodeship of Lublin.


 

Read more

The Crown Denar of the king Wladyslaw Jagiello

The coin was discovered under the floor of the nave of the church. It is older than him, because the church in the present form was built between 1412-1426. Is inextricably linked with the person of the founder of the Church of King Wladyslaw Jagiello. The king himself frequented in Lublin and was the founder of murals in the Chapel of the Castle.

 

Read more

The Denar Gdansk Stefan Batory

Coin with silver symbols of Gdansk on one side and the eagle on the other. Year of issue seen on both sides of the coat of arms shows the year of issue 1583.

 

Read more

The Penny Prague, John of Luxembourg

The coin was minted at a time when Lublin received city rights by Wladislaus the Short. John of Luxembourg disclaims any pretensions to the Polish crown. His claims waived upon payment by Casimir the Great kick 20 000 such coins.

Read more

Lublin of Jagiello 1385–1434 ENGLISH VERSION

The appearance of a new dynasty on the Polish throne has singnificantly influenced the history and development of Lublin. It was during the Jagiellonian reigns that the city begin to flourish and grow.
The union between Poland and Lithuania signed in 1385 was a great chance for Lublin; it was the first time that the city witnessed an event of international significance.

 

Read more