The “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre is a local government cultural institution based in Lublin. It works towards the preservation of cultural heritage and education. Its function is tied to the symbolic and historical meaning of the Centre’s location in the Grodzka Gate, which used to divide Lublin into its respective Christian and Jewish quarters, as well as to Lublin as a meeting place of cultures, traditions and religions.

Part of the Centre are the House of Words and the Lublin Underground Trail.

The “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre is a local government cultural institution based in Lublin. It works towards the preservation of cultural heritage and education. Its function is tied to the symbolic and historical meaning of the Centre’s location in the Grodzka Gate, which used to divide Lublin into its respective Christian and Jewish quarters, as well as to Lublin as a meeting place of cultures, traditions and religions.

Part of the Centre are the House of Words and the Lublin Underground Trail.

Lublin Castle

Existence of a medieval gród (a wooden fortified settlement typical for Slavonic nations) named Lublin at the turn of the 12th century was proved, among others, by the discovery of remnants of the city’s former fortifications. It is not known precisely, since when had the wooden settlement been existing. It might have developed around a wooden watchtower, constructed on nowadays’ castle hill  - as tradition has it - already in the times of Bolesław I Chrobry’s reign. It is possible that a brick church was located within the 12th-century settlement.

Read more

Holy Trinity Chapel in Lublin

The Holy Trinity Chapel, adjacent to the Lublin Castle, is one of the finest examples of Medieval art in Poland. Its Gothic architecture, combined with Byzantine-Ruthenian polychromes, makes up a unique synthesis of Eastern and Western cultures.

Read more

Tower at the Lublin Castle

The tower at the Lublin Castle, also referred to as the donjon, is the sole monument of the Romanesque architecture east of Vistula river. This cylindrical brick building is one of the elements of the Lublin Castle complex.

Read more

Zamkowy Square in Lublin

History of Zamkowy Square (Castle Square) is related to the Jewish settlement in Lublin. Until 1942, Szeroka Street ran across the site of today’s square. It was the main street of the Jewish Quarter that was nearly completely destroyed by Germans during the World War II. After the war, the authorities decided that a ceremonial square would be created at the site, together with monumental stairs leading to the Lublin Castle.

Read more

Guidebook to Lublin - the Union of Lublin route

On 1 July, 1569, the act of Union of Lublin was confirmed by oath in Lublin. As a result, Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania fused into one country - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, often called also the “Commonwealth of Both Nations”, ruled by a single monarch. Since then, foreign policy, and monetary systems became unified, while administration, treasuries, armies and judicatures remained separate. The Commonwealth covered an area of over 800 thousand square kilometers and existed until the partitions of Poland took place.

Read more