The Dominican church and the monastery were erected in the southern part of the Old Town Hill (wzgórze staromiejskie), on a small elevation, the so-called Dominican Hillock (górka dominikańska). The monastery’s history is related to the relics of The True Cross that were kept there until 1991.
Articles with keyword "Dominican Church"
History of the Dominican church and the monastery relates to the relics of the True Cross, kept there for several ages. According to Jan Długosz, they were brought to Lublin in 1333, while another account states that it happened after 1400. New chapels were being constructed at the church one after another in order to store the relics.
On 1 July, 1569, the act of Union of Lublin was confirmed by oath in Lublin. As a result, Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania fused into one country - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, often called also the “Commonwealth of Both Nations”, ruled by a single monarch. Since then, foreign policy, and monetary systems became unified, while administration, treasuries, armies and judicatures remained separate. The Commonwealth covered an area of over 800 thousand square kilometers and existed until the partitions of Poland took place.
At the end of the 16th c. Lublin citizens suffered from a string of misfortunes. In 1572 the town was hit by plague. Further epidemics struck the town many more times. In May 1575 Lublin was almost completely gutted by the raging fire. The fire destroyed the Cracow Gate, the Grodzka Gate, the Town Hall, the Church of St. Michael, the Dominican Church, and the Market Square. However, Lublin was able to rise up from the disasters quickly. At the beginning of the 17th c. the town upon the Bystrzyca river already had 12 000 citizens. The description and the picture of Lublin in Braun and Hogenberg’s Theatrum praecipuarum totius mundi urbium, published in Cologne in 1618, were placed on a par with descriptions and images of the oldest and biggest European cities. By that time, the town already had its bugle call, and the miracle of the Holy Cross Wood relic in the Dominican Church (1649) made Lublin a place of religious worship.