The “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre in Lublin is a local government cultural institution. It works towards the preservation of cultural heritage and education. Its function is tied to the symbolic and historical meaning of the Centre’s location in the Grodzka Gate, which used to divide Lublin into its respective Christian and Jewish quarters, as well as to Lublin as a meeting place of cultures, traditions and religions.

Part of the Centre are the House of Words and the Lublin Underground Trail.

The “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre in Lublin is a local government cultural institution. It works towards the preservation of cultural heritage and education. Its function is tied to the symbolic and historical meaning of the Centre’s location in the Grodzka Gate, which used to divide Lublin into its respective Christian and Jewish quarters, as well as to Lublin as a meeting place of cultures, traditions and religions.

Part of the Centre are the House of Words and the Lublin Underground Trail.

Parish church of St. Michael in Lublin (nonextant)

The favourite and privileged temple, in the walls of which, at whose altars, paintings and in sacred vessels [...] Lublin had been offering, throughout generations and centuries, tokens of its religiosity, was the church of St. Michael Archangel, a parish church at first, then a collegiate, commonly called the old parish church, existing on Grodzka Street until 1854.
J.A. Wadowski „Kościoły lubelskie na podstawie źródeł archiwalnych”

 

 

 

 

 

The Church of st. Michael the Archangel was the most important temples of Lublin, and its history was inseparably connected with the history of this city. Today it is an invisible church, about which Józef Czechowicz once wrote: "On a green square the stars shine through the gothic ribs of  the church made of air".

 

Read more

Po Farze Square in Lublin

Po Farze Square (Former Parish Church Square) in Lublin is one of the oldest parts of the Old Town in Lublin, hiding the relicts of buildings whose history reaches back as far as to the Middle Ages. The church of St. Michael that overlooked the square in the past was the seat of the first parish in Lublin and one of the key elements of the city’s panorama. Today, the foundations, uncovered and raised between 2001 and 2002, and a bronze mock-up that represents the appearance of the church in accordance with historical sources, remind of its existence.

Read more

Lublin 1570–1649 ENGLISH VERSION

At the end of the 16th c. Lublin citizens suffered from a string of misfortunes. In 1572 the town was hit by plague. Further epidemics struck the town many more times. In May 1575 Lublin was almost completely gutted by the raging fire. The fire destroyed the Cracow Gate, the Grodzka Gate, the Town Hall, the Church of St. Michael, the Dominican Church, and the Market Square. However, Lublin was able to rise up from the disasters quickly. At the beginning of the 17th c. the town upon the Bystrzyca river already had 12 000 citizens. The description and the picture of Lublin in Braun and Hogenberg’s Theatrum praecipuarum totius mundi urbium, published in Cologne in 1618, were placed on a par with descriptions and images of the oldest and biggest European cities. By that time, the town already had its bugle call, and the miracle of the Holy Cross Wood relic in the Dominican Church (1649) made Lublin a place of religious worship.

 

Read more