Former Jewish hospital on 83, Lubartowska St. in Lublin
Construction of the Jewish hospital was financed by local Jewish Community. Building was designed by Marian Jarzyński. Hospital began to function in 1886. Initially, 56 patients were treated here. In 1930s, three dwelling houses, a stable, a mortuary and a basement also belonged to the hospital.
No. 83, Luabrtowska St. (formerly no. 53)
The hospital building occupies the central part of the parcel.
Jewish hospital, currently obstetrics and gynaecology hospital.
History of the building
Construction of the Jewish hospital was financed by local Jewish Community. The design was prepared by Marian Jarzyński. Operation of the hospital commenced in 1886. At the beginning, 56 patients received treatment here. In 1930s, three dwelling houses, a stable, a mortuary and a basement also belonged to the hospital. A synagogue functioned inside the hospital building.
In 1942 Germans slaughtered patients and staff. Subsequently, they set up a Wehrmacht hospital here.
In 1949 the hospital was transferred to Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, with intention of establishing an obstetrics and gynaecology clinic.
Description of the building
The building with basement was laid out on a plan whose shape resembles the letter H. Its two storey body is heavily elongated, with pitched roof covered with sheet metal.
Building is made of bricks and plastered. It faces Lubartowska St. Main entrance is situated on the axis of the building and leads directly to the main staircase. A side staircase is also located inside.
The two storey, seventeen-axis front elevation rests on a high plinth. The storeys are separated with cornices. Windows are rectangular. Ornaments consist of serrated cornices, lesenes and rustication. A terrace bordered by a cast iron baluster is situated on the first floor. The exit leading to the terrace manifests features of the neo-romanesque style.
Multipartite rooms, accessible from the corridor.
Elements of architectural decor: pilasters, arcades and cornices, are preserved inside.
The premises where the building stands are fenced, with railing and a gate. New hospital building is also situated there.
Compiled by Joanna Zętar
Translated into English by Jarosław Kobyłko
Akta miasta Lublina. Inspekcja Budowlana, sygn. 2610.
Radzik T., Lubelska dzielnica zamknięta, Lublin 1999.
Radzik T. [red:], Żydzi w Lublinie. Materiały do dziejów społeczności żydowskiej Lublina, Lublin 1995.
Sikora-Terlecka A. [oprac.], Karta ewidencyjna zabytków, Archiwum WUOS, Lublin 2007.