Building of the former Lublin industrialists’ credit union (today’s Lublinianka Hotel) in Lublin
The building is located at 56, Krakowskie Przedmieście St., at the corner of Krakowskie Przedmieście St. and Hugona Kołłątaja St.
Initially, it was the edifice of the Kasa Pożyczkowa Przemysłowców Lubelskich (Lublin industrialists’ credit union). After World War II it was transformed into the Lublinianka hotel. Currently it houses the four-star Grand Hotel.
1846 – the plot is a property of Antoni Wieniawski;
1859 – Karol Hincz owns the property;
1860 – property of Antoni Karwowski;
1862 – property of the Głogowski family;
1873 – property of Piotr Kurmanowicz;
1884 – property of Władysław Wodziński;
1898 – the Lublin industrialists’ credit union (Kasa Pożyczkowa Przemysłowców Lubleskich) acquires the estate;
1899–1900 – construction of the edifice of the Lublin industrialists’ credit union;
1910 – restoration of the building, resulting in its current architectural form;
1918-1939 – the ground floor of the building houses a shop and a cakery;
1939-1945 the building turned into the Deutsches Haus (German house);
after 1945 – the building houses the Lublinianka hotel, the Centralny bar, a coffee shop a restaurant;
2001-2002 – modernization of the building, the interiors arranged to accommodate the four-star Grand Hotel.
History of the building
Before 1846, the plot on which today the Grand Hotel stands was a property of Antoni Wieniawski and, later on, Konstanty Wieniawski. In 1859, it was bought by Karol Hincz, then, in 1860, by Antoni Karwowski and later by Franciszek Czajkowski. In the following years, it belonged to the Głogowski family (since 1862), Piotr Kurmanowicz (since 1873) and Władysław Wodziński (since 1884). In 1898, the Lublin industrialists’ credit union (Kasa Pożyczkowa Przemysłowców Lubleskich) bought the lot at a public auction. A year later, construction of the building began, to the project of architect Gustaw Landau. The building was finished in 1900; the construction took only 17 months. W. Rutkowski opened his cakery in the building immediately afterwards. In 1910, the building got its present form, owing to a renovation carried out by the owner. In the inter-war years, the ground floor of the building housed a cakery and a delicatessen. During World War II, it was turned into the German house (Deutsches Haus). After the war, the building housed the Lublinianka hotel, Bar Centralny, a coffee shop and a restaurant. Between 2001 and 2002, it was bought by Lublin Grand Hotel sp. z o.o. The company had the building modernized and turned it into a four-star hotel.
Description of the building
The building was laid out in the form of a tetragon, with two rectangular annexes. It has two storeys, and one of its corners has a rounded shape.
The external faces are uniform and incorporate avants-corps. The exterior of the ground floor is rusticated. The rounded corner of the building accommodates a portal, accessible via stairs, framed by rusticated engaged columns that support an entablature. Above the portal, there is a balcony with stone balustrade. The main avant-corps, projecting towards the Krakowskie Przedmieście Street, comprises a protuberant portico supported by four Tuscan columns placed on pedestals and supporting an entablature on which a terrace rests, enclosed by a stone balustrade. The ground floor windows are tall, with the upper ends shaped into semicircular arches. The corner section of the building and the avant-corps above the terrace were arranged into a “giant order” with ionic columns on pedestals on both the first and the second floor. The windows have decorative edgings. Those on the first floor are coped with pediments and have windowsills with balusters. The second floor windows have pediments in the form of a cornice supported by corbels. The windowsills have a similar form. The spaces between the windowsill corbels are filled with garlands. There are recesses in the avants-corps on both sides of the corner. Above them there are miniature rectangular panels with the date “1900” inscribed into them. The balconies have a cast-iron balustrade, and the entire elevation is crowned with a cornice supported by corbels. The part of the exterior that faces the courtyard has no architectural ornaments.
The building has a two-bay interior, with corridors in the middle of each bay. The ground floor accommodates three big halls. The brick staircase on the side of the Krakowskie Przedmieście St. has the most elegant appearance. The other staircase, located on the side of the Hugona Kołłątaja Street, is accessible from the courtyard. The stairways in the annexes are located in the avants-corps.
Text by Anna Rola
Translated by Jarosław Kobyłko
Bortkiewicz E., Pastuszak Z., Ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 56 / Kołłątaja 1 (Hotel Lublinianka). Dokumentacja naukowo-historyczna, Lublin 1989, sygn. 1495.
Dybek A., Kawiarniane tajemnice naścienne, „Gazeta w Lublinie” 1994, nr 54, s. 2.
Hryniewska G., Kasa Przemysłowców Lubelskich. (Budynek Lublinianki), „Dziennik Wschodni” 1992, nr 30, s. 11.
http://www.lublinianka.com/2,historia.html [dostęp: 20.03.2013].
Karta ewidencyjna zabytków, maszynopis w archiwum WUOZ w Lublinie, sygn. 179.
Studium historyczno-urbanistyczne do planu szczegółowego śródmieścia Lublina, pod red. A. Kurzątkowskiej, Lublin 1969, s. 451–452.
Wyszkowski M., Kasa Przemysłowców Lubelskich (Gawędy o starym Lublinie), „Dziennik Lubelski” 1995, nr 12, s. 19.