The town of Szczebrzeszyn is mentioned for the first time in 1352. The Roman Catholic churches in Szczebrzeszyn were founded by Dymitr of Goraj: the St Mikołaj church in 1394, and the St Katarzyna church in 1398. The first Orthodox church in Szczebrzeszyn most likely already existed in 1352. The first mention of Jews dates back to 1507. Szczebrzeszyn is the only non-capital city in the Zamość county that was not stripped of its city rights in 1868-1869. The city centre consists of a rectangular town square, with its corners facing North, South, East and West, and the Zamość-Zwierzyniec trade route running along its southeast side. The centre of town square houses the city hall, the Roman Catholic churches near the trade route, the Orthodox church to the west, and the synagogue close by.
The first dwellings in Szczebrzeszyn were wooden. In the 17th century the only stone buildings were sacred buildings: the churches, synagogue, and the castle. In 1860, out of 466 houses only 31 were made of stone. In 1888 the city had 448 houses, 54 of those made of stone. The residents occupied themselves with trade, farming and factory work. The town square area was surrounded by arcade houses with front-facing elevations. The wooden architecture outside of town square consisted of buildings that were virtually identical to countryside peasant dwellings. Currently, specific objects dating back to the interwar period can still be found at Klukowskiego and Cmentarna Streets.
Archive photos of Szczebrzeszyn
Modern photos of Szczebrzeszyn